Internet Bycatch | Alaska State Ferry Vs. Ocean Beauty With Video
The recent Supermoon has kicked up the tides in one of the dangerous harbors in southeast Alaska. The Petersburg harbor is well protected from intense sweep, but it is one of the rare areas where the tide can rip at 4 knots through the harbor. The Ferry dock is fairly far away from the Ocean Beauty Dock, so the tide must have been insane. It appears that the ferry was undamaged, but the docks at Ocean Beauty will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to repair. Thanks to @sperry06 for the timely photos. Check out the vid for a great story about the Wrangell Narrows.
The Petersburg Pilot reports the ferry struck the dock while performing a 360-degree maneuver, required in order for it to dock in Petersburg. The face of the Ocean Beauty cement dock was heavily damaged, dock pilings were broken and a crane was damaged.
Even the second floor of the idled processing plant was damaged, with walls and outer walkways partially demolished. The Matanuska shows possible dents and scrapes to the bow of the ship.
Petersburg Harbormaster Glorianne Wollen told the Pilot: “It wasn’t a glancing blow. It pretty much was a head-on hit.”
- Internet ByCatch | Alaska’s Icy Jackpot Winner Annouced (juneautek.com)
- Internet Bycatch | Hatcheries vs. Wild Salmon – NYTimes.com (juneautek.com)
- Internet Bycatch | Two Headed Trout Goes Viral (juneautek.com)
- Internet Bycatch | Behold The Mysterious Iceworms Of Cordova Alaska (juneautek.com)
- Southeast Salmon | Fishing Starts on the Taku and Stikine Rivers (juneautek.com)